Tuesday, April 16 , 2013
Two more people have become ill after being exposed to dry dog food contaminated with Salmonella, bringing the total number of humans affected to 16, federal health officials reported.
According to the report, one of the human cases was reported in the US, where nine people have been sickened already, and another case was reported in Quebec, Canada, where five people have been hospitalized as a result of the contaminated dry dog food.
These illnesses come after the recall of at least 11 brands of dry dog food that were all manufactured at Diamond Pet Foods' plant in Gaston, South Carolina, USA. Lab tests confirmed that those sick were infected with a rare strain of Salmonella infantis, which was linked to the outbreak using DNA fingerprints of the bacteria. Those infected became ill between October 8, 2011, and April 22. Total human cases reported in the USA include three in North Carolina, three in Missouri, two in Ohio, two in Pennsylvania, and one each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey and Virginia.
People can become sick by handling the tainted petfood or through contact with an animal that has eaten the contaminated food. Consumers should discard any of the recalled product. Symptoms of Salmonella infection can include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramping 12 to 72 hours after infection. Those who think they may have become sick after contact should consult a doctor.
--- Thank you for your patience ----
If you have any issues logging in or any other need feel free to contact us.